Sunday, 10 August 2008

2003 Scandanavian Circle - Transport Days

A slow start to the day that saw Ian looking over the Guzzi and confirming his theory that the selector spring had snapped. On this bike it is inside the gearbox, so definitely not a roadside repair. No point in worrying about this so we wander into Lillehammer town centre to check out ferries from Oslo to Denmark as this is our best option now and they do not seem too expensive at around the £100 mark. This is also an overnight crossing so that will works out at a little over the cost for a bed and breakfast. This can be confirmed when we arrive in Oslo.

In the tourist information office we were told about a Harley Davidson Rally taking place. Although we are rallyists back home we have only been to two one make rallies, a Moto Guzzi Rally in Scotland and an MZ Rally that we organised ourselves. We understand that many people get enjoyment from these rallies but we prefer events where there are different marques on site.

Whilst walking around the town we saw part of a procession of classic American cars driving through the centre, complete with a brass band accompaniment.

As the storm clouds gathered we went and hid inside the Norsk Kjøretøy Historisk Museum, a museum of historic vehicles ranging from sleighs to modern day cars alongside the development of the railway with a large model railway to view. The museum is privately owned on the outskirts of the town centre. There were some interesting exhibits but generally we were a little disappointed as the lighting was poor, the floor could have done with a sweep and the exhibits themselves would have been improved if they had their tyres inflated! It could be that in the years since we visited things have improved. I have tried to find a link to the museum but have not been successful.

The rain ceased so we had a walk up to the ski jump area, tickets were purchased so we could take a small ski lift to the top. From here we spent some time watching people practise for the winter season. In order to lessen friction and gain momentum, water was poured down the slope.

Back at the campsite we had a lazy evening with Ian playing around with the tv remote. One day he may even stop from channel hopping every few minutes. We did see on the news that it was still raining heavily inland, so I’m pleased we stayed near the coast.

Today we head for Oslo. There is no rush as we only have about 100 miles to do. Ian managed to loose sight of the road signs for the campsite and proceeded to go round in circles until a passer by sent us in the right direction.

The Bogstad Camp & Turistsenter is situated 9kms from Oslo city centre with a bus stop at the camp entrance. The site boasts a service station, tavern, grocery store, laundry facilities and restaurant.

In the evening we decide to eat out for a change. The owner of the restaurant warns Ian off the curry as he tells us that he cannot get many of the spices in Norway.

We decide to book a ferry to Denmark for the Wednesday, giving us three nights here and two full days to explore. To celebrate Guzzisue buys a large tub of ice cream to keep in the freezer that is in our cabin.

No comments: